January 8, 2013

My So Delish Crock Pot Turkey Chili

Why, hello there!  I hope everyone's holidays were as wintery and wonderful as mine were.  Ryan and I traveled to Traverse City and Chicago and spent 10 glorious, relaxing days visiting friends and family.

In addition to lounging about and gorging ourselves on coffee and food...we did a Jingle Bell 5k, saw It's A Wonderful Life at their historic downtown State Theater and I even got a sewing lesson from his Mom on her Bernina...the Bentley of sewing machines.  Sadly, I took shamefully few photos, including snapshots of some great eats that I wanted to share here!  One of the best meals we had on our Midwest getaway was a creamy sausage & fennel pasta dish cooked by Jennifer Blakeslee, Ryan's sorta-step-sister and owner of one of Mario Batali's favorite restaurants, The Cook's House.  

I'm hoping to share that on here sometime but you'll have to settle for the oh-so-delish turkey chili recipe below - born from my love of hearty dishes and disdain for canned meat.  After slow cooking a batch the other night, I curled up on my couch with a glass of red wine and savored a flavorful bowl...perhaps 2.  (Ryan had at least 3 so I don't feel too guilty)  To make your own, just follow my easy instructions below and enjoy!



Ingredients

  • 1 1/4 lbs ground turkey 
  • 3-4 slices bacon
  • 1 14-oz can tomato sauce
  • 2 14-oz cans diced tomatoes
  • 1 14-oz can each of pinto, kidney and chili beans
  • 1 small can corn
  • 1 small jar sliced jalapenos
  • 1 diced green pepper
  • 2 diced small/medium white onions
  • 3-4 cloves garlic, diced
  • 2 tbs. chili powder
  • 1 tbs. cayenne pepper (more if you want spicier)
  • 1 tsp. paprika
  • 1 tsp. cumin
  • Salt & pepper for taste
Directions
  • Brown the ground turkey and diced onion in a pan for several minutes.  Once fully cooked, drain off any liquid and set aside. 
  • Cook the bacon in a separate pan (or use the pre-cooked, microwaveable bacon like I do...shhhh).  Once cooled, dice or crumble in to small pieces. 
  • Place everything in your crock pot...
  • Put the lid on...
  • And cook on Low for 7-8 hours...
  • Top with cheese, sour cream, avocado or tortilla strips. Ta-da!