November 4, 2012

Pine Cone Napkin Rings

This past week, I brought out my sewing machine to make my very first set of napkins using an orange feather print I found at Sew Modern.  The napkins themselves are not my finest project but I'm in love with the accompanying pine cone napkin rings I made.  They were relatively simple to make and would be a great Thanksgiving hostess gift this fall.


To make your own set, you'll need the following supplies:
  • Mini Pine Cones.  You can find these are your craft store, usually in a bag of roughly a dozen. 
  • Brown Floral Wire Stems.  Like these but brown.  I went for a thicker gauge to make sturdier. 
  • Craft/Washi Tape in the color of your choice.
  • Hot Glue Gun
First, you'll need to attach the floral wire to the base of your pine cone using hot glue.  I made a small loop using the top of the  wire and then just glued on.  To make extra secure, I swirled another inch or so of the wire around the original circle, gluing as I went.  If the visibility of the hot glue bothers you, you could cut out a small round piece of brown felt to glue over the wire. 

Next, take your craft tape and glue on to the wire as close to the pine cone base that you can get.  Then, simply wrap around the wire until you've covered about 6".  Trim off any excess wire stem. 

Now you have your completed napkin ring!  You can twist and shape the wire around your napkin however you like. 



 

0 comments: