June 18, 2012

Sequin Sewn Cards

I read an article somewhere that talked about how to sew embellishments on to cards, just like you would do embroidery or cross-stitching.  I had completely forgotten about this until yesterday when I was wandering the aisles of Joann's Fabric like a craft-starved zombie looking for my next project.  I noticed that all their blank cards are 40% off right now so decided to experiment with this new technique. 

The cards below were made using just blank note cards, sequins (yay!), embroidery floss, a size 24 needle and a little stick pin (you could just use a push pin too).  

First, sketch out the pattern or design of your liking using a pencil.  Then, open up your card so it's flat and lay it on a piece of cork board so nothing gets damaged. 

Using your pin, punch holes about 1/10th of an inch apart along the pattern.  Erase the pencil markings. 

Then, just thread your needle and sew through the holes in your regular up/down motion, adding sequins along the way!  After a few failed attempts, I was able to crank out all three of the ones below within an hour or so and I can't wait to give them to someone special. 






0 comments: