June 11, 2012

Practically Martha: Travel Edition

This past weekend, Ryan and I traveled out to my hometown of Denver for my dear friend Emily's wedding.  We were both in need of a weekend together and this was Ryan's first official Denver adventure with me.  Shocking, right?  I wanted to share a highlight of what our 48 hour adventure brought: cute shops, delicious food and a gorgeously executed backyard wedding.  

We got in on Friday and after settling in to the hotel, headed right out to explore the area, landing at Osteria Marco in Larimer Square.
This this darling little gem feels like Shabby Chic's Rachel Ashwell opened up an Italian eatery.  The lobby area had a few rows of bar seating, the cute little chalkboard piggy diagram below and gorgeous chandeliers.  We grabbed a spot out on the patio, which was brimming with wrought iron tables and chairs and people enjoying the unseasonably warm weather. 
Their menu featured an array of meats and cheeses which immediately filled my dairy-loving heart with glee.  We ordered the Chef's Assortment Cheese Plate to start, which came with a mix of burrata, mozzarella, robiola and more, along with a side of pickled jam and crunchy, olive oil coated bread.
Ryan had to do a little bit of work, so I savored my glass of Garganega (2009 Grisela Soave Classico).  I'm not one to wax on about how earthy/fruity/mineral-ly/blah/blah/blah my wine is - that's pretentious - but I have to say that this glass literally tasted like figs & honey.  It was incredible.
Next stop was a little houseware boutique a few doors down called Posh.  It was brimming with Johnathan Adler goodies, yummy candles and one of my all-time favorite things in life: cute cards!
Saturday was the wedding and my friend Emily got seriously creative for the big event.  She met her fiance (who is Canadian) in Australia while they were both in med school and they're now doing their residencies in North Carolina.  She's also from Denver.  So you can imagine how many people traveled from far and wide to attend their nuptials.  The theme for the night really centered on this idea of travel, with each table representing a different area of Australia and featuring vintage-y postcards as decor.  

She painted the table assignments on the glass window pane below with table names like: Bondi Beach, Great Barrier Reef, Australian Outback and Sydney Harbor.  There were also wines and beers for each different locale - Buffalo Gold Beer, Foster's, Lebatt Blue, Yellowtail wines, and more.
The entire event was stunning, from the twinkly lights strung in the backyard trees to the centerpieces bursting with pale pink peonies to the rustic mason jars filled with candles. 
 She even hand crafted the menus, seating cards and favors!
Ryan looked handsome as always and didn't complain once about wearing a full suit in 95 degree weather.  I, on the other hand, donned the infamous Flight of Swans dress (which proved to be much more forgiving in the heat than Ryan's outfit) thanks to my super generous friend, Jessica (aka Tita).
I got to hang out, dance and laugh hard with my best friend, Jenny (aka: Baatchie).
And of course, we took a Delta Delta Delta sorority reunion shot with the beautiful bride. 
We finished the whirlwind weekend off with brunch with my family, including my two amazing little sisters.  (Note: in the photo below, they're both wearing heels and I'm in flats.  I literally don't know how they got the short end of the O'Malley height stick...pun intended.  I did get the matching large forehead though...)
We went to a little tucked away spot called Root Down in the Highland neighborhood, a few minutes outside the heart of downtown.  Their menu was full of locally grown, organic dishes ranging from a pulled pork omelette to the lemon ricotta poppy seed pancakes that I devoured.  Everything was fresh, tasty and got polished off by the six of us after several rounds of 'bite-for-a-bite' passing plates around the table.
The best, best part of the brunch though was their $14 bottomless blood orange mimosas.  All weekend long, Ryan and I kept getting reverse sticker shock by the affordable food and drinks.  The hotel bar The Corner Office was more or less our home base after 10pm and amazingly, it boasted a killer late night Happy Hour from 9p-12a! $2.00 PBRs, $4.00 cocktails and $5.00 glasses of Prosecco were flowing right up until the clock struck midnight.  The bottomless mimosas took the cake though, so naturally, I had to have 3 to get my money's worth. 
 I hope that the next time you're in Denver (or if you live there already) you can check out a few of the spots I visited and enjoy them as much as we did!

6 comments:

jessica v said...

ummm...this post is adorable. your weekend sounded amazing.

E said...

Thanks Tita! You would have loved Denver...have you ever been??

Jenn said...

What a fun looking trip!

Michelle said...

Yay Denver! I will have to check out Posh on Larimer. I, too, am a sucker for clever cards.

It seems like you guys love LA, but just think of the craft collaborations if you move to Denver. I'm just sayin... :)

emily kaser said...

omg i JUST read this.... CUTE! thanks for the shout out sister. i miss you already! :( when are you coming NC way???!

Kristen said...

Adorable blog! Thanks for sharing as I was unable to attend the wedding :( I loved the insider photos of the table assignments..(SO CUTE by the way Em ;) I've been to Denver twice but didn't explore downtown too much because I was busy with my "sisters" :)