May 28, 2012

Levain Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies

While in New York for business a little over a week ago, several friends insisted that I visit a little establishment on the Upper West Side called Levain Bakery, whose softball-sized cookies are legendary among locals.  

With a few hours to kill before my flight, I took a stroll over to check out these signature $4.00 miracle cookies.  Were it not for the incredible smell wafting out the front door, I would have missed the small, unassuming storefront, having expected something bigger and grander to match Levain's massive sweets. 

Immediately after walking inside, I knew I was in for a treat.  The bakery display featured four simple, ginormous cookies:  Chocolate Chip Walnut, Oatmeal Raisin, Dark Chocolate Chocolate Chip and Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip.  After purchasing a mix of all four, I devoured an ooey gooey Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip cookie.  It was everything I hoped for and more. 

And I had to replicate that experience.  

After scouring the Internet for an exact copy of this chocogasmic masterpiece, I stumbled upon a blog post that featured a handful of Levain cookie recipes published in a magazine several years ago.  The recipe below is for the Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip cookie I fell in love with.  While I cannot confirm or deny it's authenticity, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did both Levain's cookies and my deconstructed version (with slight modifications)!

Ingredients
2 sticks cold butter, cubed 
1 1/4 c sugar
2 eggs
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp corn starch
1/3 c cocoa powder
2 1/4 c flour
1 c chocolate chips
1 1/2 c peanut butter chips


First, add the sugar and butter (left), blending with a hand mixer initially and then by using a spatula. (right)


Then, simply add everything else in!  I first mixed using a spatula to blend the ingredients slightly, then by hand to blend


While Levain Bakery's cookies are the size of a jumbo scone, I decided to use an ice cream scooper to stretch my batter a little further: 24 normal sized cookies instead of 12 large ones.  Spread the love a little further, right?  :)


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Temp and time for baking please???