February 29, 2012

That's Sew LA

It's been a goal of mine to one day become a skilled seamstress, effortlessly stitching together curtains, bed linens, aprons and more.  Ryan bought me a sewing machine for our anniversary last November and I've been itching to start using it ever since.  Having no sewing skills at all, I took the first step towards mastering this new hobby a few weekends ago when I took a class at Sew L.A in Silver Lake, courtesy of my dear friend David.
  

A 3-hour introduction to my new machine helped lay the foundation to my future Martha-worthy skills.  In small class of 8, I learned how to spool a bobbin, thread the machine and sew in a straight line using a few different stitches.  It was only as I sat there listening to the instructor that I realized this was the first class I'd taken since college...unless you count online driving school for a speeding ticket I got a few years back.


Sew L.A. teaches a ton of different classes, most of them project based.  You can learn to make pajama pants, tote bags, skirts, home goods, etc.  They also sell darling fabrics and sewing supplies like the ones below.


If you live in the LA area and have even the slightest desire to learn how to sew, I highly recommend checking out their class schedule.  Even if you don't own your own machine, you can rent theirs for only $10 an hour or even take private lessons.

So, who's up for Square Pillow Making 101?

1 comments:

Sarah said...

Ugh, I totally need to do this!