I can count on one finger the number of dishes that I've ever learned from a professional cook. And I'm not talking about the fat Italian guy in the chef's hat who makes canned ravioli.
Jennifer Blakeslee, owner of Traverse City's The Cook's House (Mario Batali's favorite in the area...no biggie) made the delicious green bean & gorgonzola side dish below for Christmas dinner a few years ago and I've been in l-o-v-e ever since.
To start having your own green bean love affair, check out the recipe below.
Fresh green beans
- Snap the ends off your green beans and add to boiling water for 60-90 seconds. Don't over cook or they'll get soggy.
- Strain and dump in to a bath of ice water to stop the cooking process.
- Dry the green beans with a towel and set on your serving platter.
- Squeeze lemon juice over the green beans and drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Top with gorgonzola cheese and serve!