November 23, 2011

Pick Your Pie Battles

I'm all about taking the occasional shortcut in life.  Sometimes I only half dry my hair before I go to work and throw it up in a cute messy bun.  Sometimes I don't wash fruit before I eat it.  And I always use pre-made pie crusts. Seriously, who likes making dough?!

In terms of store bough pie crusts, you really used to have only one choice: the ones that came in the frozen section and were invariably already cracked, with chunks of crust rattling around in the bag. Not pie-worthy. 

Now, Pillsbury has these amazing refrigerated ones that you just roll out and set inside your pie dish.  You even get to fold the edges over yourself and feather the rim with a fork to make your perfectly creased crust.  #simplepleasures

One thing I never take a shortcut on?  Pie filling.  I'm not talking about baking a pumpkin and scraping out the insides to make your own puree.  That's just insane.  The stuff in the can will do just fine.  So, in the spirit of Thanksgiving, here's a recipe that I'll be test driving tomorrow and that Ryan's Mom (one of the best cooks ever) swears by: Bourbon Pumpkin Pie.  It has bourbon in it and you can hardly go wrong with that! Happy Thanksgiving!

Ingredients
  • 1 Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust
  • 1 (15-ounces) can pure pumpkin
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1/3 cup sour cream
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 3 1/2 tablespoons bourbon
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

The Incredibly Simple Directions
  • Place your Pillsbury pie crust in your pie dish.  Do the crust feather move. 
  • Whisk together all ingredients and pour into the pie dish.
  • Bake until edge of filling is set but center trembles* slightly about 45 minutes (filling will continue to set as it cools). 
  • Cool completely. 

*Note: These were the exact instructions. I would never use the word tremble when describing a pie, unless I just ate the entire thing and was trembling with nausea.

0 comments: